Hair Extension Aftercare
Your hair extensions are designed for two months of continuous wear after which time you should make an appointment to have them removed and reapplied. If you have clip in extensions, the same rules apply to care for your hair.
During those two months, it’s important to know how to look after your extensions so that your hair stays looking as natural and stylish as it did when you stepped out of our salon.
Washing Your Hair
- Before every wash, separate each piece and make certain that the hair is free of tangles.
- Do not wash your hair extensions over a bath or sink.
- Ensure your hair is thoroughly washed using an organic shampoo and conditioner, free from silicone or sulphate.
- Smooth shampoo down the length of the extension hair, working around each strand and ensuring that all shampoo is properly rinsed.
- Conditioner should only be applied from the mid-lengths to the ends of the hair.
- Do not apply hot oils, wax treatments, henna or any styling products containing oil or wax directly to the tape.
- After washing, pat your hair dry with a towel. Do not use a rubbing action.
Drying Your Hair
- Fully dry your roots using a cool setting on your hairdryer. Section and blow-dry without excessive pulling.
- You can straighten, curl, and tong the extension hair, but avoid excessive strain and pulling.
- We highly recommend using a heat-protecting spray and a medium heat setting if available.
- Styling products such as hair sprays, mousse and serums may be used, but you should avoid applying them near the tape.
Brushing Your Hair
- Only use a soft bristle brush, brushing from the bottom to the top of your head.
- Ensure you support the roots whilst brushing.
- If you’re in intense sunlight or on a sun-bed, use a wrapped towel to protect your hair and the links.
- Going swimming? Be sure to wash your hair immediately afterwards to remove all traces of chlorine.
- If you have a more active lifestyle and are taking part in sport, tie your hair back for the duration. Try to avoid excessive washing.
- Before going to sleep, put your hair into a plait or tie it up loosely to avoid any tangling during the night.
- Avoid going to bed with wet hair.
For more advice and information on hair extensions aftercare, feel free to contact us.